Call Out for Action to Address Traffic Problems on West Broad from the Council of Civic Associations
There has been an increase in speeding, illegal use of the bus lanes, and other illegal driving activities by drivers of legal vehicles and illegal vehicles (e.g. four-wheelers) along West Broad Street. The law-breaking vehicles sometimes travel in large packs. Many vehicles have been illegally modified to create loud noise, causing disruption to residents along the Broad Street corridor at all hours every day of every week, well into the night.
- Consider joining City of Richmond civic associations-Jackson Ward, Museum District, Scott’s Addition, Fan District, Downtown Neighborhood Association-in writing letters to City Council and to the Mayor to advocate for their support of House Bill 632, which will allow law enforcement officers to stop motor vehicles for excessive noise.
- Request that the Mayor and City Council support HB 367 to reduce vehicle noise, in part through changes to state inspections, and to broaden it to apply to the City of Richmond.
- Additional Action:
- Send an email to the Mayor’s office and City Council, stating that you are a City of Richmond resident, explaining your concern / how you have been impacted by the illegal driving activities and noise. Urge them to take needed steps:
- Address police understaffing by implementing compensation increases for RPD officers to be competitive with neighboring counties, in accordance with the compensation study currently underway.
- Increase funding for RPD traffic enforcement technology.
- Implement a new city noise ordinance that is more easily enforceable.
- Fully fund Broad Street Task Force traffic calming measures.
- Support creation of a Department of Mobility and Multimodal Transportation, as proposed in Resolution 2021-R086.
- Join the GovOps committee call on 1/26 to voice your concern; click here to see the Agenda, which includes instructions to sign up to speak on the call. You can also send comments to CityClerksOffice@rva.gov in advance of the meeting.
- Mayor, Administration and Council (send one email to all these together):
- Please copy firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virginia Delegates (send one email to all these together): DelBCarr@house.virginia.gov
- Deli Bourne@house.virginia.gov